- The level of feed in tariff paid to electricity producers is determined by by the size of the system and is set by Ofgem. Ofgem review the amount paid for each unit of electricity generated on a quarterly basis.
- Solar PV feed in tariff (FiTs) payments are set in a contract between the producer and the Government. The rate prevailing at the time of installation is set for 20 yrs. Payments are increased annually based on RPI inflation in the December preceding the start of the new finacial year.
- Feed in tariff payments are tax exempt for domestic installations.
- The Government deems that 50% of electricity produced by a domestic solar PV installation is used in the home and the balance “exported” to the national grid. The exported electricity attracts an additional premium of 4.77p for each unit (kWh) exported.
- All installations must be carried out by an MCS-approved installer, using MCS-approved products to qualify for the FiTs.
- The installer provides the customer with a certificate to confirm their solar PV installation qualifies for FiTs. The customer provides this certificate to their electricity provider who pays them, on behalf of Ofgem and the Government for the electricity they produce.
- All electricity sales organisations add a small levy to every unit (kWh) of electricity sold. This levy funds the FiTs scheme. So all electricity consumers(domestic & commercial) fund the FiTs scheme NOT Central Government. The electricity sales companies hold this levy in a nominal account for Ofgem and apply to Ofgem to pay you from it when you claim your FiTs.
- There are a finite number of domestic and commercial electricity users in the UK this determines the budget available to pay Solar PV Fits. The Dept of Energy Climate Change refer to this as the spending envelope.
If you would like to know more about how you can benefit from the Government incentives to install Solar PV please call us on 01480 819 740, email us via our website contact form or request a call back.
On 1st April 2010, the government’s CRC (Carbon Reduction Commitment) Energy Efficiency legislation came into effect. The legislation applies to companies with at least one electricity meter settled on the half-hourly market. Organisations that use more than 6,000 megawatt-hours of half hourly metered electricity in 2008, equivelant to an electricity bill of about £500,000, will be required to participate in the scheme.
Participants’ emissions are used to rank them in a publicly viewable League table and they are expected to reduce their emissions year on year. The CRC legislation includes civil & criminal charges for non compliance.
By developing a CO2 reduction plan incorporating Solar PV generated electricity companies can:
- reduce their electricity costs, which will be increasingly important as energy costs escalate over time;
- create a commercial opportunity to sell excess production for a higher premium than the Government’s “Export Tariff”;
- demonstrate their commitment to their corporate environmental objectives;
- protect their corporate reputation;
- avoid CRC financial penalties;
- allow customers to identify & select low carbon suppliers of goods & services.
This allows participant companies to gain competitive advantage.
Examples of Business use of renewables:
- Analysts at a major high street retailer, that spent £70m on electricity in 2009, predicted that their electricity costs will increase to £120m over the period 2010 – 2020. Their solution to manage this cost increase was to install Solar PV where ever possible on their stores’ roofs. This is part of their “Plan A”. Source: Ray Noble, Renewable Energy Association.
- An EU wide meat packer with a turnover of >£500m has a site in Huntingdon which consumes £1m of electricity a year. They have 3000m2 of roof area over three factories which could be used to install Solar PV. To do this will cost approx £1.4m and will produce an income of approx £140k a year resulting in payback of investment in approximately 8 years & an annual ROI of 10%.
Planning Permission for Solar Panels
Solar Panels, guidance for England.
In many cases installing solar panels on domestic land is likely to be considered ‘permitted development’ with no need to apply to the council for planning permission. There are, however, important limits and conditions which must be met to benefit from the permitted development rights (see below). You may wish to discuss with the local planning authority for your area whether all of the limits and conditions will be met.
Solar panels mounted on a house or on a building within the grounds of a house.
All the following conditions must be observed:
- Panels on a building should be sited, so far as is practicable, to minimise the effect on the external appearance of the building and the amenity of the area.
All the following limits must be met:
- Panels should not be installed above the highest part of the roof (excluding the chimney) and should project no more than 200mm from the roof slope or wall surface.
- The panels must not be installed on a building that is within the grounds of a listed building.
- The panels must not be installed on a site designated as a scheduled monument.
- Wall mounted only – if your property is in a conservation area, or in a World Heritage Site, panels must not be fitted to a wall which fronts a highway.
Stand alone solar panel installations (panels not on a building)
All the following conditions must be observed:
- Panels on a building should be sited, so far as is practicable, to minimise the effect on the amenity of the area.
All the following limits must be met:
- Only the first stand alone solar installation will be permitted development. Further installations will require planning permission.
- No part of the installation should be higher than four metres
- The installation should be at least 5m from the boundary of the property
- The size of the array should be no more that 9 square metres or 3m wide by 3m deep
- Panels should not be installed within boundary of a listed building or a scheduled monument.
- if your property is in a conservation area, or in a World Heritage Site, no part of the solar installation should be nearer to any highway bounding the house than the part of the house that is nearest to that highway.
Note – permitted development rights for solar panels are available for both single houses and buildings which consist wholly of flats.
Note – If you are a leaseholder you may need to get permission from your landlord, freeholder or management company.
NOTE: It is the responsibility of the owner of the building or land where Solar PV panels are to be installed to ensure that they have permission for their solar panels installation by enquiring with the relevant authorities. Local authority websites have “Planning Permission Enquiry” forms for householders to check whether a solar panels installation is a permitted development or requires planning permission.
It is not the installer’s responsibility to check whether an installation is allowed under planning (permitted development) regulations or requires planning permission.
If you wish to install a solar panel on your roof building regulations will normally apply. The ability of the existing roof to carry the load (weight) of the panel will need to be checked and proven. Some strengthening work may be needed. Building regulations also apply to other aspects of the work such as electrical installation. It is advisable to contact an installer who can provide the necessary advice, preferably one who belongs to the Competent Person Scheme.
For further information follow this link:
The Government have set a reduced rate of 5% VAT for the supply & installation of renewable technology on most buildings, a reduction of 15% from the prevailing VAT rate. This applies if the installation company procures and installs a Solar PV panels system, however if energy-saving materials are supplied without solar panels installation the supply is standard-rated for VAT.
You pay NO tax on revenue you receive from Solar PV Feed in Tariffs from domestic installations.
Are you thinking about installing solar energy panels to your home? If so, then Solar Panels Cambs is a company you can trust to advise you on the next step to take.
We are a family run business with years of experience in both the property and renewable energy markets.
Our customer focused team guarantee 100% satisfaction on all of our customers’ installations. We pay great attention to detail and are meticulous about the work we do, as a result our customers are our biggest and best marketing asset. The majority of our customers are referred to us by word of mouth from other satisfied customers.
Please see what just a few of our happy customers say about the quality of our work by looking at our Testimonials page.
There is a great pressure in today’s world to be green. We recycle our rubbish, we switch lights off in unoccupied rooms, we wash our clothes at lower temperatures and now many people want to protect the environment for future generations.
There is no doubt that solar power is one of the cleanest forms of renewable energy. Electricity generated from our quality PV panels does not produce harmful CO2 greenhouse gases or noise, so reducing your carbon footprint has never been easier.
Not only are solar energy panels a clean form of renewable energy, there are many other benefits you can gain from investing in solar panels.
There are many solar panels manufacturers in Europe and the Far East. We go to enormous lengths to source the best engineered quality solar panels available for our customers, to suit your home, needs and budget. Our product philosophy is that quality is key – “you only get what you pay for”.
We won’t fit low quality products just because you want a cheap solar energy panels system for your home. Experience has shown that poorly engineered solar panels produce a lower yield and therefore lower FiT payments and fail sooner and more often than good quality equipment. This reinforces our philosophy that quality takes priority over price and is one of our key selling points.
Our carefully designed solutions ensure your system enjoys peak productivity, generating the most electricity for your home and so earns you the most it can in Solar PV Feed In Tariffs(FiTs). What this also means is that when we fit your quality Solar Panels system to your home they will work for 25 years with minimum maintenance. This ensures the earliest payback of your capital with the highest return on investment (ROI).
Our team of MCS certified engineers are professional, efficient, thorough and work hard to keep the installation areas clean and tidy during the install and to minimise disruption to your home or business. A member of our management team will project manage the installation and will be available to answer and resolve any questions you may have promptly.
Are you thinking about renewable energy for your home or business? Highest quality solar panels for your home ensure reliability, the highest yield and maximise your FiTearnings . With no noise or greenhouse gas emissions, solar panels are one of the cleanest forms of renewable energy for your home. This allows you to maximise your assets, reduce your energy bills, enjoy an additional income stream and reduce your carbon footprint.
If you would like any more information on quality solar panels for the home, we’re more than happy to discuss specific suppliers or components and compare them on their merits. Please just contact us for peace of mind.
Are you considering investing in renewable energy? Renewable energy is the intelligent investment choice offering reduced energy bills, an additional revenue stream from Government incentives and protection against rising energy costs. Solar panels also provide a visual demonstration of your corporate commitment to the environment whilst lowering your CO2 emissions and so reducing your carbon footprint and reducing the “energy taxes” business pays through the climate change levy(CCL) and the CRC energy efficiency scheme. Solar Panels Cambs is a company that can help you. We have over 12 years experience in the property and renewable energy markets. We offer honest, unbiased advice for customers considering installing solar panels on their business premises.
In these environmentally conscious times, businesses have to prove that they are operating in an energy efficient way. Although “sustainability” is a buzz word it should be more than just a PR exercise to boost your company’s profile, there is a legal requirement through the climate change levy(CCL) and the CRC energy efficiency scheme to reduce CO2 emissions and meet efficiency targets by using renewable energy sources. By installing solar panels on the roofs of your business premises you will be using one of the cleanest sources of renewable energy, with no noise or emissions and little or no maintenance. You can reduce your CO2 emissions and carbon footprint whilst maximising your business assets.
Additional revenue stream with solar panels for business
By installing solar PV panels on your business premises you will be shielding your business from increasing energy costs as well as significantly reducing your energy bills – by up to 25%. Your business can earn an annual return on investment (ROI) of 8%-12% from the government’s Feed in Tariff (FiT) scheme. The FiT scheme pays you for every kWh of electricity generated from your business solar panel system, whilst you are free to use as much of the electricity you produce as you wish. You are also paid an additional premium for each kWh you export back to the grid. The FiT’s payments you receive will vary depending on the size of the solar panel system you install but they are guaranteed to increase annually by RPI inflation for the 25 years length of the contract.
We will work with you from the initial consultation and design stage right through to installation and commissioning. We will ensure you get the most out of your investment by designing a bespoke solar panel system that fits your business needs. One of our management team will be on hand during the installation to ensure it all goes smoothly and that there is no disruption to your business. You can rely on our team of experienced MCS certified installers whose detailed and conscientious approach will ensure you are 100% satisfied with your solar panel installation. Contact our experienced team today for more information.
If you are thinking about a renewable energy solution for your commercial premises then Solar Panels Cambs are a company that can help. Renewable energy not only offers a investment opportunity for businesses but a cost effective, visual statement to your customers, suppliers and employees that you are serious about your responsibility towards the environment. Installation of solar panels will allow you to maximise the value of your property and as each system is custom designed, we will ensure you maximise the return on your investment and meet the specific requirements of your business and commercial property.
It is no longer enough to prove your company is energy efficient. It may be a credential that will boost your company’s profile however for many large businesses it is now a legal requirement to meet CRC Energy Efficiency Scheme targets by using renewable sources. Solar panels are a proven and reliable technology that will provide the perfect renewable energy solution for your commercial premises. Solar panels are one of the cleanest sources of renewable energy with no noise or emissions and little or no maintenance. These are all very appealing aspects for a business in the commercial world.
Solar panels make great commercial sense
You could earn 8%-12% annual return on your investment for generating electricity by installing solar panels on your commercial buildings. The government offer an incentive scheme called Feed in Tariffs (FiTs) under which you will be paid for every kWh of electricity you generate from your system. Solar PV FiTs are guaranteed to increase annually by RPI inflation for 25 years, 2011 and 2012 increases were both 4.8%. The government deemed that you export 50% of the electricity you produce, so you are paid an additional 3p for each kWh you export back to the grid. By installing solar panels on your commercial property you will be protecting yourself and your business from rapidly rising energy costs as well as opening up an additional revenue stream and substantially reducing your current energy bills.
It is important to any commercial enterprise that business runs smoothly without interruption. When installing your solar panel system our team of experienced engineers will ensure there is minimum disruption to your business and its employees. First of all we will work with you to get the most out of your commercial property by designing a bespoke system that will ensure the maximum return on your investment. A member of our management team will be on site every step of the way and our solar panel installation team will work diligently and methodically ensuring the project is completed on time with your 100% satisfaction guaranteed. Contact our team of specialists today and they will be happy to answer any queries you have with regards to installing solar panels on your commercial property.
The term “photovoltaic” comes from the Greek meaning “light” and “voltaic”, meaning electric, from the name of the Italian physicist Volta after whom the Volt is named.
How solar PV panels work
A solar photovoltaic (PV) cell converts the energy from sunlight into electricity by the “photovoltaic effect”. This refers to photons of (sunlight) solar energy knocking electrons off a layer of silicon semi-conductor in a solar cell in solar panels. The flow of these electrons to a second silicon layer within the cell builds up a voltage between the two layers creating an electric current. This flow of electrons produces direct current (DC), which is converted to alternating current (AC) by an inverter so it can be used by appliances in the home or exported to your electricity supplier. Solar PV Panels can help reduce your electricity bills by 25% and you could earn up to £1000 a year from Government incentives called Feed in Tariffs(FiTs)!
Solar PV Panels and Renewable electricity production
Solar photovoltaic electricity production is the fastest growing power-generation technology in the world. Between 2004 and 2009, grid-connected PV capacity increased at an annual average rate of 60 percent with Germany seeing the fastest rate of growth. In 2010 the UK became the fastest growing market globally for Solar PV Panels, incentivised by Feed in Tariffs.
It is estimated that 30% of the UK’s electricity could be generated from renewable sources with 2% from small-scale electricity generation such as Solar PV Panels. Currently less than 5% of the UK’s electricity comes from renewable sources. This represents a significant growth opportunity for electricity generation from renewable sources which the Government have recognised in their Feed in Tariffs which incentivise the installation of Solar PV electricity generation. Feed In Tariffs are tax free for domestic panels installation and guaranteed to increase annually by RPI inflation for 25 years. Solar PV Panels installed at your business premises can produce 8%-12% annual return on your investment with FiTs increasing annually index linked to RPI.
Help the environment and future generations by installing solar PV panels on your home or business. Electricity generated from solar PV power does not produce harmful greenhouse gases. With no noise and no CO2 emissions you can increase your green credentials and reduce your carbon footprint. Once fitted, you can forget about the panels. They require little or no maintenance and provide a simple cost effective source of renewable energy.
If you wish to be part of the Renewables Revolution and would like more information about installing panels please contact our experienced team at Solar Panel Cambridgeshire.